Brief Media Chief Veterinary Officer Indu Mani, DVM, ScD, was honored as a nominee for the 2021 Feather in Her Cap Award. This award honors women in the animal health industry for notable contributions in science, industry, and commercial excellence.
Each year, the Feather in Her Cap Award not only highlights a single winner but also shines a spotlight on the many incredible women in our industry. This year was no different.
- Angela Baysinger – DVM, MS, the Animal Welfare Lead, North America, Merck Animal Health
- Heidi Chen – Executive Vice President, General Counsel, and Corporate Secretary, Zoetis, Inc
- Tyre Grant – PhD, Executive Director, Global Food Animal Product Development, Elanco Animal Health
- Marsha Heinke – DVM, EA, CPA, CVPM, Founder of Marsha L Heinke, CPA, Inc
- Rika Jolie – DVM, MSc, PhD, MBA, Head of Global Swine Global Marketing, Merck Animal Health
- Indu Mani – DVM, ScD, Chief Veterinary Officer, Brief Media, Fellow in Bioethics, Harvard Medical School Center for Bioethics
- Janet Patterson-Kane – BVSc, PhD, Diplomate ACVP, FRCVS, Chief Scientific Officer, Morris Animal Foundation
Like her fellow nominees, Dr. Mani is the embodiment of all the award stands for. She has done much through the course of her career for the betterment of animal welfare, including her work creating a point-of-care clinical and pharmacy tool that veterinarians around the world use daily. Dr. Mani is also a fellow in a bioethics program at the Harvard Medical School, where she represents veterinary medicine in critical discussions on human and animal ethics.
Dr. Mani is excited for what the future holds for women in her field and is committed to the organization’s mission.
“It’s truly an honor to be nominated with a group of extraordinary and innovative women in the industry. Our profession is one that is lifted by female professionals; that this organization recognizes these incredible contributions is amazing.”Indu Mani, DVM, ScD, Brief Media Chief Veterinary Officer
Honored and humbled by the recognition, Mani hopes the nomination will allow her to continue to push for excellence in the field.
And the winner is…
This year the Feather in Her Cap award went to Dr. Angela Baysinger. She is a longtime advocate for the welfare of animals and more recently has worked with the livestock industry to ensure animal welfare during the Covid-19 pandemic and subsequent supply chain disruptions.
“Please take a look at the list of amazing women nominated for this award. It’s unbelievable that they’re my peers. All of them deserve recognition and accolades for a career that did not come easy. Each one of them excels and shines.”Angela Baysinger, DVM, MS, Animal Welfare Lead, North America of Merck Animal Health
Although the annual Feather in Her Cap Award ceremony was held virtually this year, many traditions remained the same, including the annual cocktail recipe. Feather in Her Cap chairperson and founder Linda Rhodes shared a special recipe—a stiff drink quite befitting the year behind us and the year that lies ahead.
“Mix two parts celebration, one part relief, four parts compassion, and a tiny splash of exhaustion, and top off your glass with hope.”Linda Rhodes, Feather in Her Cap Chairperson and Founder
You can learn more aboout the Feather in Her Cap Association on their website.